Wednesday, September 2, 2009

My Little Girl is Sick

When I put Peanut to bed last night she was sad. She had the sniffles. Her stuffed up nose was making it hard for her to breathe. She spent the whole night tossing and turning.

I suppose this was inevitable. Buddy, my youngest son, has been ill and was home sick from school Monday. Of course he was going to spread his awful contagion to the rest of us. I just hoped Peanut would be magically immune.

This morning, after a terrible nights sleep, she woke up boiling like a furnace working overtime (Really she’s just 100° F.). She was coughing and sneezing. Her sniffles produced this horrible goo running down her lips.

I fell terrible for her. All she wants to do is sit with her daddy. Oh, and she wants me to play with her toys. She is actually in good spirits. She ate, had her formula, and is sleeping restfully right now.

Babies get sick. I do understand this. We had a wonderful run of luck though. She hadn’t been sick yet. Both of my sons had been sick by six months. Peanut made it to eight months.

She’s in for a long run of nasty bugs. My boys both went through it as they grew into and through toddlerhood . As she is exposed to other children they pass on their nasty little germs. When she starts school the flu will run through her class.

She and my boys are lucky. They won’t get chicken pox. The vaccine has kept both of my sons from getting it. I assume it will be as effective with her. When I was little we all got it. A select few kids slipped through to adulthood without getting it. They face a precarious situation if they do contract it.

I got it in third grade. At first it seemed great. You get to stay home from school for at least three days. In actuality it was distinctly unpleasant. It was several long days of feeling itchy, itching, and getting scolded for itching.

I would have preferred she not get sick though. Its miserable enough to sick when your fully grown and understand what is wrong. When your little you have no idea what is wrong. All you know is that you don’t feel well.

Peanut certainly doesn’t feel well. I’m not worried. She’ll be better and up to mischief again in no time.

No comments:

Post a Comment