Monday, August 10, 2009

Peanut's Six Month Old Celebration



Last Friday we had a party for baby. It was to celebrate her having been with us for six months. As anyone who has every cared for a baby knows six months is a long time. It represents at least a thousand diapers. Possibly two or three times that many (Think ten a day, at least, for 180 days). Add all the other inherent duties of a parent and you can imagine that it has been a long six months.


But, I was very excited. The emotion bordered on down right jubilation at having come this far. For my sons we waited until they were a years old to have a party. I have fond memories of my boys sitting in their high chairs trying to eat a small cake that was reserved solely for them. The result in both cases was a terrible mess. Everyone present enjoyed themselves almost as much as the baby.

I didn’t feel that we could wait that long for Peanut. So I devised the plan to celebrate six months of diaper changing fun. My wife, not surprisingly, jumped at the idea. We got her a cake, really just a giant cupcake. After dinner, we had pasta and she had sweet potatoes, everyone gathered round and watched her enjoy her cake.


Even the boys had fun. Though Buddy objects to her being the center of attention (We are working on sibling jealousy but its a tough sell).
Peanut really went at it. It was a little surprising how actively she attempted to devour the cake. Most of it ended up on her, which was also true of my boys at their birthday parties. She gave it an honest attempt though. If she had the control it would have ended up in her tummy.

Afterwards she got a bath and took a nap. My wife and I went over the many pictures I took (Close to fifty). Some of them are really funny. I can tell you that I am very excited at the prospect of her birthday party six months from now. In particular I can not wait to how she handles the cake compared to this party



On the other hand I feel terribly ambivalent. The boys seem somehow cheated since they only got one party their first year. They are too young to remember but it still seems unfair.
I hope you enjoy the pictures as much as Peanut enjoyed the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment